Sovereign Health of California accepts adult men and women aged 18 and over at its facilities in Los Angeles, Palm Desert and San Clemente. Our Rancho San Diego residential facility treats adolescents aged 12 to 17. Men aged 40 and older can receive specialized treatment at Palm Desert, which hosts our Personal Recovery Integrating Men’s Experiences (P.R.I.M.E.) program.
When a referent sends a patient into our program, we conduct a series of interviews and assessments. By understanding each patient as completely as possible we’re able to craft the type of individually tailored, effective treatment program each patient needs. We also work with our referents to ensure the transition from their care to ours is as seamless as possible.
Sovereign’s team of admissions representatives work closely with patients, their families and health care professionals who directed them to our care, as this relationship helps promote a successful recovery. When a patient enrolls with us, we’re always happy to receive any relevant information about the patient’s symptoms and medical history – as long as it’s compliant with HIPAA and other privacy laws. This information helps us create our treatment programs.
If the health care professional wishes to remain part of patients’ continuum of care, a representative from our referent management team will contact them within 72 hours. We’ll also work with them when the patient is ready to be discharged from our care, as well as collaborating on the best way patients’ treatment plan should be continued.
Additionally, we strive to keep referrers informed of patients’ progress; however, due to HIPAA regulations, we need their consent forms. While we encourage patients to keep their families involved, Sovereign always follows the patient’s ultimate decision.
What patients can expect
Every patient entering our care undergoes several interviews, assessments and examinations so we can have a greater understanding of their specific challenges and needs:
- Clinical interview: We start by asking patients about their background, their family and any symptoms they may be experiencing. We also ask them about their ethnicity, religious beliefs and sexual orientation. While most of this information is present in a patient’s medical records, hearing it from their mouths – and with their perspective – helps us draft an appropriate treatment plan which will address all of their needs.
- Assessments: Getting an idea of a patient’s intellectual and mental strengths and weaknesses also helps us develop a treatment plan. Observing a patient’s behaviors also lets us know if they have any harmful habits which need changing. Finally, a personality assessment is an excellent window into a patient’s worldview and mental state, helping us make their stay with us as safe as possible.
- Medical checkup: Every patient receives a complete, thorough medical and psychological evaluation before treatment starts. We’ll record the patient’s complete medical history – something we’re glad to receive help with from the patient’s primary caregiver or referent – and history of psychological disorders. Finding out if any mental or physical ailments run in the patient’s family is another way of making treatment effective and safe. Also, every patient receives a tuberculosis test. In the Mantoux tuberculin skin test, patients receive a small injection of tuberculin protein under their skin – a small red bump develops at the injection site if the patient has been exposed to tuberculosis.
Patients and locations
Sovereign maintains four treatment centers in southern California. Because not every patient benefits from the same treatment, our centers are set up to treat certain types of patient. Here is a quick guide to each facility’s areas of specialization:
- San Clemente: Sovereign’s flagship facility has treatment programs – including detox – for mental health, substance abuse and dual diagnosis for adult men and women aged 18 and up. Additionally, San Clemente also treats adult females for eating disorders. This location has the largest selection of available treatment modalities.
- Los Angeles: This facility treats adult men and women aged 18 and up for mental health, substance abuse and dual diagnoses. This location also offers a specialized treatment track for trauma.
- Palm Springs: Our location in the desert resort community has a detox program, in addition to treating mental illness, substance use disorders and dual diagnoses. We admit adult men and women aged 18 and older. Additionally, Palm Springs hosts Sovereign’s Personal Recovery Integrating Men’s Experiences (P.R.I.M.E.) program, which provides specialized treatment geared to the needs of mature men aged 40 and up.
- Rancho San Diego: Sovereign maintains a residential treatment center for adolescents in rural Rancho San Diego. It treats substance use, mental health disorders and dual diagnoses in boys and girls aged 12 to 17. It’s also home to an eating disorders program for girls aged 12 to 17.