Consuming energy drinks with the hope of an instant boost could affect an individual’s physical as well as mental health, suggests a study, published recently in the journal Frontiers in Public Health. Examining the currently available scientific evidence about the damage caused by energy drinks, the researchers concluded that one of the major mental health outcomes of such beverages is anxiety disorder. The study team also highlighted the dangerous trend of mixing energy drinks with alcohol. Experts say energy drinks are known to dilute the effects of alcohol inebriation, which makes people consume more alcohol.
Based on their findings, the researchers recommend that young children and teenagers should strictly refrain from consuming energy drinks as they are more vulnerable to the consequences. “The evidence suggests they are detrimental to health and should be restricted through more strict laws preventing their sales to children and teenagers, as well as coming up an upper limit backed by evidence on the amount of caffeine,” said Josiemer Mattei, one of the authors and an assistant professor at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.
The main ingredients in energy drinks are caffeine, water, sugar, certain vitamins, minerals and stimulants like guarana, ginseng and taurine. Due to the varying proportions of these ingredients in such drinks, consumers face the risks of mental health problems in the form of anxiety, emotional upheavals and stress, besides the chance of falling prey to substance abuse.
Studies indicate North Americans and Western Europeans are more likely to experience anxiety-related disorders than their East European, African, South American and Asian counterparts. In North America alone, nearly eight of 100 people suffer from anxiety. According to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America (ADAA), anxiety disorders are the most common mental health problems in the country, affecting nearly 40 million adults each year. Despite being highly treatable, only 36.9 percent of those battling anxiety receive treatment.
Ways to break free from anxious thoughts
- Learning to confront anxiety: Considering every negative and distressing thought as the gospel truth can devastate anybody’s life. Therefore, it is essential to break this pattern by re-conditioning one’s brain.
- Living present to the fullest: Learning to incorporate acts of mindfulness in life is the key to live every moment to the fullest, instead of being under pressure about an unknown future.
- Accounting for any kind of uncertainty: Experts suggest addressing the need for conviction and clarity of mind or else anxiety might deprive people of being happy in the present.
- Ascertaining if an issue can be fixed: Most of the time people’s minds are preoccupied with non-existent tensions and anxieties. During such times, evaluating one’s anxiety levels can help identify what can be achieved and what can be put aside.
- Allotting a separate time for worry: A mind filled with anxiety impacts productivity adversely, so experts recommend pushing it aside temporarily, and getting back to the problem causing anxiety once the person has sufficient time to figure out a solution.
Leading anxiety-free life
Any type of tension or anxiety holds the potential to invite trouble in an individual’s life. But there is hope, as long as the observable symptoms aren’t overlooked and are intervened upon at the appropriate time. Medication and professional counseling can go a long way in modifying destructive and anxiety-causing thought patterns that emerge over a period of prolonged struggle with any kind of mental health disorder.
Sovereign Health of California is a leading mental health care provider. Specialists at our world-class anxiety disorder treatment centers in California are trained to identify the underlying causes and prescribe customized treatment as well as group psychotherapy based on the patient’s requirements. If you or your loved one is battling anxiety or any other mental health problem, call our 24/7 helpline immediately. You can also chat online with one of our representatives to know more about our treatment for anxiety disorders in California.
Reach Out To Us Today! Most Private Insurance Accepted