How do I know I have a drinking problem?
How do I know when it’s time to get help?
Are your drinking habits causing problems in your life?
If the answer to this question is “yes”, then you probably have a drinking problem – and it’s time to get help!
Some of the signs and symptoms to watch out for are:
- You have neglected your responsibilities numerous times because of your drinking or have been unable to carry them out because of the effects of drinking. E.g. You were unable to make it for work or couldn’t wake up to drop you children to school because of your drinking.
- You drink even in situations that could prove dangerous for you – e.g. you are drinking even though you’ve taken medicines which could have adverse affects when combined with alcohol, or you’re drinking heavily even though you know you have to drive.
- You frequently end up drinking more alcohol than you intend to.
- You are drinking despite it causing problems for you, be it with family, at work, legal or health related – e.g. You have been warned by your doctor to cut down or quit drinking, or you and your spouse are constantly fighting because of your drinking.
- You need more of the same drink to experience the effects you seek.
- You’ve had to drink to ease physical discomfort like sweating, tremors, nausea etc. These are referred to as withdrawal symptoms.
- You want to quit and have tried to many times but have failed to do so.
- Your life revolves around drinking and you’ve given up other things that used to be important to you so that you can spend more time drinking.
- You have no control over your drinking.
It’s important to note though that one does not suddenly become an alcoholic. Alcoholism is a progressive disease. It usually starts with milder problems like frequently getting drunk, or passing out while drinking and not remembering what happened. This could then slowly escalate to Alcohol Abuse which, in turn, could lead to Alcohol Dependence.
If you’ve been in trouble more than once because of your drinking and are continuing to drink in the same way, you might want to take heed before it becomes a serious problem.
Reach Out To Us Today! Most Private Insurance Accepted