Ten days after moving into a new home, a Washington state family with three young children was forced to vacate the home as the house was found to be contaminated with serious levels of crystal methamphetamine. Jason and Amanda Gates had been living in the Maple Valley for the past two years and loved it to the extent that they decided to buy their first home there itself. They bought a foreclosed home at an auction and considered themselves quite lucky. However, their happiness soon turned into horror when a neighbor told them that the prior residents could have used meth in the house. The Gates family revealed that the meth issue was neither highlighted through paperwork nor home inspection.
Toxic levels of meth found
The couple got the home tested and the results came as no surprise. Lethal traces of meth were found in almost every square inch of the house. Such was the severity of the contamination that it was totally unsafe for the family to spend another day inside and had to vacate immediately. .
Jason Gates said that the issue is a real one and not something that would normally cross the minds of an average buyer. Meanwhile, a GoFundMe account has been set up to help the family meet the cost of decontamination which has been pegged at $11,000.
Crystal meth is just death in disguise
Methamphetamine is a psychostimulant drug, originally synthesized for therapeutic use. Over the past few years, it has increasingly found its use as a recreational drug. Although the drug is FDA-approved and is recommended for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and obesity, methamphetamine’s illegal use exceeds its intended consumption.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), in 2015, nearly 4,900 meth users died of an overdose, a 30 percent jump in one year – in 2014, the figure stood at roughly 3,700.
The chemicals used in methamphetamine production generates toxic fumes and dangerous by-products that can contaminate water, adulterate lakes, and infuse through walls and flooring. Crystal meth or crystal methamphetamine is one of the most popular party drug and goes by several street names – counting blade, crystal, batu, ice, quartz, and glass. Often smoked in a glass pipe, most forms of crystal meth are rumpled into powder form, following being sniffed, swallowed or liquefied and injected.
In the U.S., experts have long been responsive to the threats of living in meth labs, mainly for children. The authorities have time and again cautioned that exposure to even the minute levels of methamphetamine can cause headache, nausea, giddiness and exhaustion, whereas exposure to high levels can lead to shortness of breath, chest pain, eye and tissue irritation, chemical burns to the skin and even death.
Road to recovery
At present, meth addiction treatment includes behavioral therapies comprising contingency management therapy, which helps to fight the urge and the Matrix Model that combines behavioral therapy, training, drug testing, psychanalysis, and peer support.
If a loved one you know is grappling with an addiction to meth or any other substance, encourage him/her to seek immediate assistance from one of the credible meth addiction treatment centers in California.
Based out of San Clemente, Sovereign Health is a leading substance abuse treatment center in the country. Call at our 24/7 helpline number or chat online with one of our representative for more information about our evidence-based treatment for meth addiction in California.
Reach Out To Us Today! Most Private Insurance Accepted